- Explain the following terms: SSL, TLS, CA, CRL, OCSP, PKI, PRNG
- List goals of cryptography.
- What is the difference between symmetric and public key encryption?
- List three cryptographic hash functions. What are their strengths and weaknesses?
- Explain what the term "digital signature" means.
- What are the challenges of SSL?
- Build OpenSSL from source.
- Use openssl to compute SHA1 and MD5 message digests for a given file.
- Encrypt and decrypt a file using 3DES.
- Generate parameters for Diffie-Hellman key exchange.
- Create a pair of DSA and RSA keys.
- What is the major difference between RSA and DSA?
- Explain the purpose of a CRL.
- What are Certificate extensions and how to use them?
- Do some research about OCSP (RFC2560)
- Create a CA environment.
- Generate a self signed certificate.
- Generate a certificate request.
- Issue a few certificates from certificate requests.
- Revoke some of the generated certificates.
- Retrieve HTTPS certificates of some of the Internet giants, e.g.
$ echo|openssl s_client -connect www.google.com:443|\
sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > cert.txt
- Print the certificate in the text form
$ cat cert.txt|openssl x509 -text
Network Security with OpenSSL - exercises.
Set of exercises to the book of Network Security with OpenSSL by J. Viega, M. Messier, P. Chandra.